photo home_zpse8e5a120.jpg photo 2_zpsce2eaec1.jpg photo 3_zpsde71fa93.jpg photo 4_zpsb1131224.jpg photo 5_zps02c268bf.jpg photo 6_zpsf633eeeb.jpg photo 7_zps70e45893.jpg photo 8_zpsd7f017ee.jpg photo 9_zps795bf77f.jpg
 photo SEPARATORSLIDER-MENU_zpsd2dd6681.png

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Books are the best

I love to read! And that's not just the reading teacher in me talking. I look back on my childhood and it was full of books. I remember reading the Bearenstein bears, gold spine books, and Dr. Suess. I always looked forward to the book fairs at school---best week ever! I think one of my favorite book fair purchases was, "The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Tales" by: Jon Scieszka.
 
I distinctly remember my 4th and 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Gridley, reading books to the class the last little bit of the day. She read, "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" by AVI and "The Sign of the Beaver" by Elizabeth George Spear to name a few. I remember doing AR (accelerated reader) tests and seeing my name on a paper star in the library from earning 100 points or more during the year.
 
My reading tastes vary from genre to genre. Some of my favorite books include:
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

I could read those books over and over and enjoy them everytime! They are proudly displayed on my bookshelf in my living room. Other authors I have enjoyed, Denise Hunter (christian romance), Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Series (yes! I will admit that I have read and own the movies and books. This series might not be one of my favs but it was an enjoyable teen read. Not mind blowing for an adult, but entertaining), Sophie Kinesella, Cecelia Ahern, Allie Condie, Veronica Roth, Lauren Oliver, and Dan Brown. I have recently read "The Help" By Kathryn Stockett and "Water for Elephants" By Sara Gruen (*contains some sexuality) and I would recommend those books to anyone who has not read them yet.

Books help us to take a break from reality and let your imagination have a moment. We get ideas about what we think the characters look like. We root for the hero, cry for losses, gasp at shocking moments and keep turning the pages to find out what happens next---sometimes to the point where you count down the days until the next book is released (and you rush to the book store to get your copy in the early morning air).

If you haven't made the time to read in a while, I encourage you to do so. You might not be able to read a book in sitting, but reading for 20 minutes or so here and there could be just time to your self you need. You can make reading a family affair---read aloud to your child or vice versa---great memories can be made there.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment